Buyers will often view a few properties, so you need to make sure that yours stands out!
Here ’s our guide to making your home more attractive to prospective buyers when they come to view your home.
1. Clean spaces are most attractive to new buyers, if a house is littered with clutter it makes the space seem smaller than it is and therefore less desirable. The buyer should be able to get around without tripping over toys or clutter. Storage areas must be easily accessible as viewers will want to take a look.
Go the extra mile, just because you don’t mind there being Christmas lights outside your house in June doesn’t mean viewers are going to be like-minded.
2. Take the time to invest in proper lighting, steer clear from warmly toned bulbs as it gives an aged feel. Fluorescent lighting helps a buyer to see the home properly. This will also help if your home lacks natural light.
3. Clear sources of unpleasant smells. Bathe the dog, take the litter tray outside and no smoking in the home at least 1 day before viewing. Keep the windows open to remove any stale smells. If you are going to use scented candles keep the scents neutral, think Yankee Candles clean linen or fluffy towels.
4. Update your walls with a fresh coat of paint but keep it neutral! You might have fantastic taste and a very bold colour palette but not everyone will appreciate your creative flair. Remember new buyers want to put their stamp on the property not live in your interior design creation.
5. Pay attention to small features that need sorting out. Drawers without handles and broken doorknobs? All that kind of thing needs to be fixed; new buyers will not want to inherit your DIY to-dos.
6. First impressions count so make sure the exterior of your home looks well presented. Grass should be cut, weeds pulled, any outside paint refreshed, light bulbs, plants and hanging baskets and any outdoor furniture should all be looking its best.
7. Cater for the time of year and advantage of the weather. In spring and summer, fresh flowers and healthy plants will make a home look more appealing but use sparingly. In autumn and winter put a roll of cookie dough in the over before a viewing to give the house that homey smell, make it cosy but not cluttered.
We hope these tips will help you on your way to the sale of your home.