Leeds Lost Buildings
We have had a look through the archives and found some lost buildings, many of which there is no trace of as they were demolished to make way for other structures. As the city has changed and expanded over the years it has not always been able to save the buildings that if still standing today would be listed buildings.
Seacroft Hall was said to have been built in the 17th Century by the Shillito family. As you can see from the image the hall used to have a large ornamental lake. This was later filled in to become the Parklands High School sports field.
The couple in the photograph is thought to be John Wilson and his wife, John Wilson bought the Seacroft Estate in 1750. The last owner of the Hall was Darcy Wilson a barrister at law who died, unmarried at Seacroft Hall on the 5th of January 1931. As Wilson was unmarried and had no children the estate was sold to Leeds Corporation.
Seacroft Hall was demolished in June 1953 after 20 years of being unoccupied. The Hall and its grounds were supposed to be preserved by Leeds City Council but the demolition went ahead anyway. Some of the features in Seacroft Hall were preserved such as the Georgian Fireplace. The fireplace was taken to Temple Newsam house in the late 1930s and later passed to Leeds City Museum. In March 1994 the fireplace was placed on permanent loan in the Tetley’s Brewery Wharf Museum, where it is a major feature in the Georgian dining room. It is some consolation that part of this great hall still exists in history today.
This is Wheatsheaf Inn, it used to be on America Moor Lane. This Inn dated back to the 17th century and was thought to be the location of the murder of the landlord shown in the picture, John Fletcher. It was said that he was killed by the highwayman Will Nevision. We know this because the site of the murder was marked by a stone. Nevision was known for his politeness as it has been recorded that he never showed violence towards his victims which is why the murder of John Fletcher was so intriguing. Nevison was himself killed after stealing a horse he was arrested and executed in 1677.
This Inn was demolished in the 1930s, we can only assume because of structural issues.
This is Windsor house which was located on Albion Street. This home once belonged to Joseph Schofield who was Morley’s first mayor. After his death, it was purchased by the Morley Industrial Society and later in the 1920’s it became the headquarters of the Borough Medical Officer of Heath until 1971. Unfortunately, Windsor House was demolished in January 1972 to make way for Windsor Court shopping centre.
If you can remember any lost buildings please comment on this post and share the History.
Special thanks go to Leodis as without the photographic archive of Leeds we would not be able to bring you’re our historical content.