Cushions come in all shapes and sizes, and are often used to decorate the home, adding a touch of personality to a room in the most comfortable fashion possible!
A trend on Pinterest is capturing people’s imagination, where people take their old clothing and transform them into personalised, homemade cushions.
In this blog post, we take you through the seven simple steps involved in creating your new favourite furnishings.
So, what are you waiting for, grab those old shirts/t-shirts that you don’t wear anymore, get the sewing kit out and create a delightful, homemade and attention grabbing cushion!
What a delightful way to upcycle your old, unused clothing.
Firstly, you’ll need to dig out an old t shirt or button up shirt. You can do this with any style, although souvenir shirts like this “I Love NY” t-shirt really stand out, and can have sentimental value, reminding you of a treasured memory. Floral, Paisley and other heavily patterned items are also perfect, and can be striking!
You’ll need some cushion inners, which you can pick up from a variety of home stores, or you can buy a set of four online for less than £6.
Step by Step Guide:
1. Place the cushion inside your chosen t-shirt
2. Pin the extra fabric along the sides and remove the pillow
3. Pin all the way down towards the bottom and sew it using a small zig zag stitch (either by hand or with a machine).
4. Trim the excess fabric with scissors.
5. Turn the t-shirt right side out again
6. Place pillow insert inside
7. Fold the overhang back at the pillow and finish sewing.