Happy National Sponge Cake Day!
There’s going to be a lot of cake pictures online so we thought we would help curb the craving and give you our quick and easy, best ever vanilla cake recipe! Only 20 mins prep time!
This is our favourite easy vanilla sponge cake recipe…
For the Sponge:
· 250g unsalted butter, softened
· 250g golden caster sugar
· 1 tsp vanilla essence
· 5 large eggs cracked into a jug
· 85g plain flour
· 100g full-fat yoghurt
· 250g self-raising flour
· 3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
For the Syrup:
· 50 golden caster sugar
· ½ teaspoon of vanilla paste
1. Heat oven to 160 degrees and grease a tin and line the base and sides with baking paper
2. Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and ¼ tsp of salt together until pale and fluffy. Then pour in the eggs one at a time making sure to beat the mixture well between adding eggs.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of flour if the mix starts to look slimy, it should be fluffy. Beat in the yoghurt and combine the two flours and then fold them into the mixture followed by the milk.
4. Spoon the mix into the tin and bake for approximately 1 hour 20 mins, a skewer should come out clean when poked inside and it should be golden in colour.
5. Meanwhile make the syrup, gently heat 50ml of water with the sugar and vanilla in the pot, stir until sugar dissolves. Set the syrup aside and allow the cake to cool for at least 30 mins.
6. Take a skewer and poke holes in the cake right down to the bottom and pour the syrup over the top so it sinks into the sponge.
7. Decorate as you please but this cake is just as delicious as is.
This recipe is easily adapted to gluten and dairy free diets! Simply switch to vegetable spread, soy milk and yoghurt and applesauce as a replacement for eggs. For gluten free use coconut flour or gluten-free flour!
Follow this link for easy marzipan https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8164/easy-vanilla-marzipan