7 Simple Ways to Make Your Home More Eco-Friendly
If you’ve watched David Attenborough’s ‘Our Planet’ on Netflix we imagine you’ve had the overwhelming feeling of guilt about what is happening to the planet! You may think you can’t make a difference but we’ve found some simple tips we can all follow to make our homes more eco-friendly!
1. Kick out the Kitchen roll!-When the next inevitable kitchen spill occurs don’t reach for the kitchen roll, cut up some old rags or cloth to attend to the mess and reduce the amount of waste kitchen roll generates.
2. Spring is here so ditch the dryer- Save the planet and some electricity costs at the same time by hanging your clothes outside to dry. Help the environment and guarantee nothing will shrink! WIN WIN!
3. On the topic of washing why not wash your clothes on a cold wash, cold water gets your clothes just as clean as a hot wash and contrary to popular beliefs, hot water sometimes sets the stains rather than removes them!
4. We have Smartphones so why not a smart thermostat? - Smart thermostats have the ability to turn the temperature down when you are not home. Some even allow you to turn them back on in preparation for your arrival. Saving you money and reducing wasted energy.
5. The myths of energy efficient light bulbs providing a dim light are outdated and untrue. Energy efficient LED lights use 90% less energy than a traditional incandescent bulb and provide the same level of brightness!
6. Go natural- Next time you’re cleaning and reach for your extra strong detergent think about where that ends up, everything we dispose of effects the environment. By switching to eco or natural cleaning products we can reduce the impact on the environment and they are just as effective!
7. Invest in a house plant- This is the simplest way to change some of that Co2 to O2 and it gives you a nice new room feature! Try Areca Palm or a snake plant!
These simple steps won’t break the bank or require any additional effort in day to day life but could make a big impact to the earth in the long run! Give them a go you won’t look back.