Five things you didn’t know about Wetherby’s History!
We’ve been doing our research on Wetherby, known in the past as Werreby. The town was used as a staging post for travellers over the centuries. It was a stop off on the route from Edinburgh to London and the Villages many inns and coach houses were favoured by travellers. The river Wharfe plays a large part in Wetherby's history as 18th Century drovers used it as a watering place for their livestock as they travelled them from farms to markets. The building of Wetherby bridge was largely thanks to the Archbishop of York as he granted remission of sins to anyone who would assist with the building of the bridge.
Take a look at some of the other historical secrets we found.
1. Wetherby came to be in existence in the 12th and 13th centuries. In 1240 the Knights Templar were granted a royal charter by Henry III for the right to hold a market in Wetherby.
2. Some of the pubs in Wetherby have been around since the 1800s such as the Swan and Talbot, The Crown, the Red Lion and the Blue Boar. In 1824 during the Great sale of Wetherby the Crown, The Blue Boar and the Red Lion were sold for only £2,870!
3. From 1318 to 1319 the north of England was raided by the Scots. One of the raids is known as the Battle of Bannockburn, when during the battle Wetherby was burned, many people were killed and taken. Scott lane is apparently named after the battle.
4. For fifteen years Wetherby had a castle, it was constructed in 1140 without the permission of the King or Parliament. In 1155 the demolition of the castle was ordered by King Henry II, to this day only its foundations remain as flats were built on top of the site named “Castle Keep” in memory of the site.
5. Bramham Moor was the site of one of the first battles in the wars of the roses in 1408.
Those are our favourite historical facts about Wetherby. There are few historical stories documented about Wetherby and the market. We do know that the Market would have traded Livestock and wool among other things. The town centre was expanded in the 1960s in order to cope with a growing population and the success of the market.
We hope you have enjoyed getting to know the history of your area more!