Now the weather is warmer it’s time to get out into the garden and give it a good spruce up. We’ve put together 5 simple gardening hacks that could make your gardening that little bit more enjoyable.
1. Create a Non-stick shovel- To make shovelling any soil a breeze, simply spray your shovel with a silicone or Teflon lubricant. A good coat of the spray should make any soil slip right off no more scrubbing or scraping!
2. Anything Can Make a Good Plant Pot- If you’re new to gardening, start small, anything can make a great plant pot. Why not test out old milk bottle, an old jar or recycle an old plastic container.
3. Grow Roses in potatoes- Yes you’ve read it right…Take your rose cuttings and stick them in a large potato, put them both in the ground and watch your Rose’s blossom. The potato keeps your cutting moist whilst the roots are developing!
4. Plastic bottle drip irrigation system- who says you need to fork out for an expensive drip irrigation system to keep your bulbs in bloom. Grab a plastic bottle a similar size to the plant pot, put 4-5 holes in the cap using a nail and hammer or drill. Place the cap back on and cut away the opposite end of the bottle. Dig a hole in your soil deep enough to place the bottle at least half way in. Place the bottle in, cap side down and pat the soil around it. Fill the bottle with water and let the drip irrigation work its magic!
5. Reduce the weight of heavy plant pots- Do you have those heavy plant pots that are impossible to relocate once they’ve been planted. A great way to reduce the weight of these pots is to fill the bottom half with foam peanuts, then place a single sheet of fabric and continue to add your soil as usual! Not only does this reduce weight it also improves the drainage of your soil- WIN WIN!
Dust off your gardening gloves and give these handy hacks a try!